I love working with 2-3 year olds!! This session was so awesome from the time I met up with this family to the time I finished culling and editing their photos.
Here are my five top tips for a successful photo session with toddlers:
- Plan where you are going to take the photos beforehand and don’t stay too long in one spot. You can tell when it’s time to move on to the next one!
- Give them something to do with mom & dad. Look for flowers, rocks, anything to keep them entertained.
- Bring snacks. Sometimes a little break is needed and a goldfish or jellybean will do the trick! Something small that won’t melt on their hands or get too messy is best.
- Be sure to take some photos standing further back to show size/scale – one I like is parents holding hands with the toddler in the middle.
- And last but not least… be ready to sing their favorite song. In the past week I’ve covered Baby Shark, If You’re Happy and You Know It, Thomas the Tank Engine, and Baa Baa Black Sheep. Sometimes when I’m driving home I think about how I just acted in front of people I have just met for the first time. I don’t even care anymore because I know it works and when you see the photos with the cutest little smiles it’s worth it.